Friday, June 12, 2015

New Project: Tangram on the Raspberry Pi

Hello,

For my first project I am trying to set up Tangram (a map program) on the raspberry pi B+. So far I have installed Tangram, built it for the Pi, and configured it to read the map tiles locally, instead of just getting them from the Internet. There are, however, a couple of problems. The map tiles are HUGE! An individual tile is not but when you need to download literally thousands of them (more than 4,000 just for Manhattan) it can be easy to eat through all of the space on the Pi. Also, after downloading all the map tiles for Manhattan, and cringing as all of my memory disappeared before my eyes, the map was still very slow and took a long time to update. My goal in the end is to have an on-board screen, (maybe PaPiRus), a GPS module, and a battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment